crown-bridge-small.png

When last did u have S & P done on your teeth? Visit Facemirror Dental Clinic , 3 Akinfenwa Str., Off Thomas Salako Str. Behind Tantalize Ogba-Ijaiye . call/whatsapp: Dr. Adeleke:  08033181698

The best topic

Replies: 5
Total votes: : 1

Last post:
Re: Advertise on NaijaCities App by Adawebs

8 situations where silent is bestvthibg to do

Started by Adawebs,

Previous topic - Next topic

Affordable Dental Clinic with Dentist of 20yrs experience : Facemirror Dental , 3 Akinfenwa Str., Off Thomas Salako Str. Behind Tantalize Ogba-Ijaiye . 08033181698

The first post content

8 situations where silent is bestvthibg to do, according to psychology
March 23, 2024, 9:57 am

Navigating life is a bit like dancing—it's all about knowing when to step forward and when to take a step back. Or in some cases, when to stay completely still.

And by 'still', I mean silent.

Hi there, I'm Lachlan Brown, founder of Hack Spirit and a mindfulness enthusiast with a strong interest in Buddhism. I'm here to tell you that sometimes, silence is the most powerful statement you can make.

Psychology backs this up too. It says there are certain situations where the wisest course of action is to simply hold your tongue and let silence speak volumes.

Let's delve into these 8 situations where it's best to remain silent.

1) When emotions are running high
We've all been there. Tensions are rising, voices escalating, and the air is practically humming with emotion. It's in these instances that psychology urges us to zip it.

Why, you ask? Well, because as per research, emotional arousal impairs our ability to process information and make balanced decisions.

You see, when we're heated up, our brain goes into fight or flight mode. We're more likely to say things we don't mean or make decisions that we later regret. It's a primal instinct that doesn't serve us well in most modern-day scenarios.

As a mindfulness practitioner, I can vouch for the power of silence in these moments. By choosing to remain silent, we provide ourselves the space to observe our emotions without getting swept away by them.

This is essentially the core of mindfulness—being present with what's happening without responding impulsively.

Link

Adawebs

8 situations where silent is bestvthibg to do, according to psychology
March 23, 2024, 9:57 am

Navigating life is a bit like dancing—it's all about knowing when to step forward and when to take a step back. Or in some cases, when to stay completely still.

And by 'still', I mean silent.

Hi there, I'm Lachlan Brown, founder of Hack Spirit and a mindfulness enthusiast with a strong interest in Buddhism. I'm here to tell you that sometimes, silence is the most powerful statement you can make.

Psychology backs this up too. It says there are certain situations where the wisest course of action is to simply hold your tongue and let silence speak volumes.

Let's delve into these 8 situations where it's best to remain silent.

1) When emotions are running high
We've all been there. Tensions are rising, voices escalating, and the air is practically humming with emotion. It's in these instances that psychology urges us to zip it.

Why, you ask? Well, because as per research, emotional arousal impairs our ability to process information and make balanced decisions.

You see, when we're heated up, our brain goes into fight or flight mode. We're more likely to say things we don't mean or make decisions that we later regret. It's a primal instinct that doesn't serve us well in most modern-day scenarios.

As a mindfulness practitioner, I can vouch for the power of silence in these moments. By choosing to remain silent, we provide ourselves the space to observe our emotions without getting swept away by them.

This is essentially the core of mindfulness—being present with what's happening without responding impulsively.

•  

Adawebs

•  

Adawebs

So next time you find yourself in a heated situation, take a deep breath and choose silence over words. It's not about suppressing your feelings but about creating a pause to respond mindfully and thoughtfully.

2) When you're not informed enough
Next up on our list is pretty straightforward, but it's one we often overlook. If you aren't well-informed about a subject, it's best to stay silent.

We live in an age of instant opinions and fast facts. It's easy to feel pressured to have a say in everything, but let's be honest, that's not always the best approach.

I've learned this the hard way. In my early days of exploring mindfulness, I'd often jump into discussions with half-baked knowledge.

I quickly realized that speaking without understanding only muddies the waters and confuses both me and whoever I'm conversing with.

Remember, it's okay not to know everything. Sometimes, the wisest thing you can do is listen and learn.

3) When your words may harm others
Now, this one might be a bit difficult to swallow, but it's vital.

According to Buddhist teachings, right speech is one of the fundamental aspects of the Noble Eightfold Path. It means abstaining from lying, divisive speech, harsh speech, and idle chatter.

Buddhism emphasizes that words have power—the power to create and destroy, to heal and harm.

If you find yourself in a situation where your words may cause pain or harm to another person—whether intentionally or unintentionally—it's wise to hold your tongue.

Remember, we all carry an invisible load of struggles and challenges. A word spoken in anger or frustration can leave a wound that lasts far longer than any physical scar.

And while it may feel satisfying in the moment, the aftermath is often filled with regret.

Sometimes, the kindest thing you can do—for both yourself and others—is to choose silence over harmful words.

4) When you need to listen
We're often so focused on being heard that we forget to listen. Active listening is a skill—one that requires mindfulness, patience, and practice.

Mindfulness encourages us to be fully present in each moment. And when we're engaged in conversation, being present means really listening to what the other person is saying, not just waiting for our turn to speak.

In many situations, the best thing you can do is remain silent and simply listen. Whether it's a friend sharing their troubles, a colleague explaining a new concept, or a loved one expressing their feelings, your silent attention can speak volumes.

•  

Adawebs

When last did u have S & P done on your teeth? Visit Facemirror Dental Clinic , 3 Akinfenwa Str., Off Thomas Salako Str. Behind Tantalize Ogba-Ijaiye . call/whatsapp: Dr. Adeleke:  08033181698

•  

Adawebs

It's not always about having the right words or the perfect response. Sometimes, it's about offering a safe space for others to express themselves without interruption or judgment.

Related Stories from Global English Editing
If you want to find greater purpose as you get older, say goodbye to these 10 behaviors
If you want your child to be a better version of yourself, start doing these 8 things everyday
10 signs a woman genuinely loves you, according to psychology
This kind of mindful silence allows for better understanding, empathy, and connection.

5) When you're practicing mindfulness
Mindfulness is all about being fully present in the moment, and sometimes, that means choosing to remain silent. This allows you to fully engage with your environment and your thoughts without the distraction of unnecessary conversation.

In my journey with mindfulness, which I've chronicled in my book "Hidden Secrets of Buddhism: How To Live With Maximum Impact and Minimum Ego", I've found that silence can be a powerful tool for personal growth.

Silence gives us the space to observe our thoughts without judgment or interruption. This self-awareness can lead to profound insights about ourselves and our lives. It allows us to understand our emotions better, manage stress more effectively, and cultivate a deep sense of inner peace.

So, if you're practicing mindfulness (or if you're interested in starting), I'd encourage you to experiment with intentional periods of silence.

You might be surprised at what you discover within the quiet.

If you're curious to learn more about how mindfulness and Buddhism can help navigate life's challenges, check out my book on Amazon here. It's packed with practical tips and insights drawn from years of personal experience and study.

6) When silence itself is the answer
This one may seem a bit paradoxical, but stay with me here. In certain situations, silence itself is the most powerful response you can give.

Buddhism and mindfulness wisdom often talk about the power of stillness and silence. It's not just about refraining from speech, but about embracing the quiet as a form of profound wisdom.

Think about it. Have you ever asked a question to which there was no easy answer? Or found yourself in a situation where words felt inadequate?

In such instances, choosing silence over forced words can communicate more than any speech. It acknowledges the complexity of the situation and respects the profundity of the moment.

So remember, sometimes, silence isn't an absence of response. It's the response.

7) When your words won't change the situation
There's a saying in Buddhism, "If you propose to speak, always ask yourself, is it true, is it necessary, is it kind?" But I'd like to add another question to that list: will it make a difference?

There are situations in life where words, no matter how eloquently spoken or well-intentioned, simply won't change the outcome. It could be a stubborn friend refusing to see reason, a bitter argument that's spiraling out of control, or a situation where the decision is already final.

In these instances, speaking up might only serve to fuel the fire or cause unnecessary distress. It's a harsh truth, but an important one to recognize.

Acceptance doesn't mean passivity or resignation, but recognizing reality as it is.

It's about understanding that not everything is within our control—and that's okay.

8) When you need to speak up
Wait, what? Stay silent when you need to speak up? I know, it sounds counterintuitive, but let me explain.

In mindfulness practice, we learn the importance of intentional action—or in this case, intentional speech. This means that before we speak, we take a moment to pause and reflect on our words and their potential impact.

If you're in a situation where you feel the urge to react immediately—perhaps you're upset, or feel attacked—it's often wiser to stay silent for a moment. This pause gives you the chance to collect your thoughts, calm your emotions, and decide on the most mindful response.

This doesn't mean you should stay silent indefinitely. Rather, it's about giving yourself the space to respond instead of react.

So in essence, choosing silence initially can lead to more meaningful and effective communication in the end. It's not about avoiding difficult conversations but approaching them with clarity and mindfulness. It's a subtle shift in perspective, but one that can significantly improve
  •  

Adawebs

•  

🡱 🡳